When I was wearing an apron, while painting the Link/Triforce totes, I thought of my next project. This one was going to take a little bit of prep work. By that I mean, talking to my boss at work. I told her that I wanted to make a tote bag from an apron. I asked her if there were any aprons that needed to go into the “recycle bin”. A couple of weeks later, she gave me an apron that was in bad shape. If any of you have been in a Starbucks, you know that Sharpies are our friend… but sometimes our apron’s enemy. As was the fate of the apron I received for this upcycled Starbucks apron tote bag.
Now, when you are using an item and making it into another item, planning is key! I came up with several “drafts” before I settled on the final pattern. Just remember, once you cut… that’s it. So, make sure that you draw your lines and double check your measurements. With the apron having stains, Starbucks Logo, and pockets, I had to be very strategic in how I planned out this tote bag. At first, I was going to have an all-green bag. Then it changed to half green and half canvas with painted words, but that required too much work. Finally, I had a brilliant idea. Make the bag look like a Starbucks barista. We can wear black or white shirts. Most barista’s wear black, due to all the stains you will have if you wear white. I only wear my white shirts when I haven’t done laundry.
After cutting the apron, lots and lots of seam ripping (Arrgh!) and prepping all the add-ons , the tote bag was finally on it’s way. Since this bag was going to have so many pockets and parts, I had to make sure I sewed everything in the correct order. I started with the neck strap. I had to seam rip the strap off. I knew I was going to make two handles for the tote, so I had to measure the strap (including the extra piece attached to the rectangle ring) and cut it in half. After I sewed on the grosgrain ribbon (found on Ebay), I reattached the strap to the black rectangle ring. Next, I sewed a new hem at the bottom of the apron and resewed the seams where I used the seam ripper to take off the neck strap. I decided to use one of the original apron pockets to make two cute smaller pockets. These were cute, but a pain to get them to fold and sew right. Lastly, I sewed the mini apron onto the main black fabric. I decided to attach it as an outside pocket, because it would appear to look like an apron being worn. So, I only sewed the sides and bottom hem.
When the tedious parts were done it was time to sew the bag. Before I sewed up the side seams, I inserted the back tie pieces. These, I had to line up just right so it would appear that the apron was wrapping around to the back of the bag. I did not cut the straps until the end. After the bag was complete, I tied the straps in a bow and pinned where I should cut. I untied the straps, measured, and cut the straps the same length. I folded under the cut end and sewed. After ironing the bag, I was finally done.
Overall, I am super pleased with myself. It turned out better than my original idea. I can’t wait to bring it to work. Just remember to tip your barista. If you don’t, you don’t have to worry. I’m not going to decaf you…lol. Enjoy.
p.s. For you to get an idea of the size, the tote bag is holding four 1/2 pound bags of Casi Cielo Starbucks coffee. Which is, in my opinion, our best tasting coffee. I was not paid by Starbucks to write that and I hope they don’t sue me or fire me for making this tote or writing up this blog post. Starbucks siren and Casi Cielo are trademarked by Starbucks.